Crochet Halter

Looking around the mall the other day, I seen lots of different style halters, but what struck me was that most of them were crochet. My mind started spinning. "Could I pull this off?" I didnt really give it much more thought after that. Until...

My daughter asked if I can crochet her a halter for the beach. "Oh I dont think so. Ill try, but hmmm, I really doubt it".

I began searching online for a crochet halter pattern. I found a simple one to try. I went out to buy some yarn. My daughter wanted one made with cotton yarn but I bought some cheap acrylic to practice with. As simple as it looked (basically just a triangle) I just couldnt do it without her here to measure as I went along. I text her and told her "sorry but I just cant make one" Ill have to stick with baby hats and coffee cozys.

Then a thought struck. I seen a photo online that gave me an idea. "A Granny Square Halter". It was cute but had no pattern. How hard can this be? First I had to learn how to make a granny square and I did find instructions for that. Made five, sewed them together and added fringe.

Wah lah!.....    
              

I did it!


Its not perfect but its not too bad being my first attempt if I should say so myself.
Im quite proud of this piece.
Im going to let my daughter have it as a trial. Maybe she will like it, maybe not. If she likes it, then I may go out and buy some cotton yarn and whip up another one for her. If she doesnt like it, then I only wasted a few dollars but gained some confidence.

UPDATE: Though its not real Dad approved, my daughter wears it alot!



Ive shared this at:
eyeloveknots.blogspot.com

25 comments

  1. You made me smile. "I'll whip one up!" I have heard my mama and older sister say that so many times, and they could. To me is sounded really off handed (That is simple) None of it looks simple to me.!
    It is very pretty, your daughter will Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Win, win. And possibly/probably (if your daughter likes it win, win, win.
    However, it is probably a good idea to test what happens to the shape if it gets wet. Does it recover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its machine washable. It should hold shape but yikes I really dont know. Haha. I doubt it will go in the water, but just for beach cruising.

      Delete
  3. It looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that halter top is really beautiful. Me too, I have seen so many halter tops that are machine made in the stores. I really want to try and make one similar to yours. I like it in the color white too. Thanks for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make it Julie!! I would love to see how yours turns out!

      Delete
  5. Your confidence level should be out the roof! Cuteness with a capital C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I missing something? looks nice to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks really well done, I know I always lacked the gene for art and craft-making. Though I really wished I had it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful garment. I'm sure your daughter will be tickled with it.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick. She liked it and it fit her well.

      Delete
  9. That is just wicked cool!!! Wish I could wear one of those....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too, Im just to old to wear the groovy stuff.

      Delete
  10. wow these are awesome reminding me work done by my late mother

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is cute as can be. You did it. YEAH. Congrats. Hope she likes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, she did like it but needs some cover underneath it!

      Delete
  12. You did a great job!

    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that is so pretty

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this halter. I wish i could wear them, Im too big

    ReplyDelete