Just Doing It

Since I lost 50 lbs on Nutrisystem three years ago and reaching my weight loss goal. I had set another goal for myself. I want to complete a 5K race. Not a one mile fun walk or a Marathon, but a three mile (5k) run.

This was my plan last year but as soon as I started preparing myself, I began to have complications with chest pains and continuing inner ear problems and vertigo. The chest pains were so persistent that I ended up having every test out there to determine the cause. It was not my heart, or my gal bladder. I was left undiagnosed and I have learned to live with the pain. During my last visit to the gynecologist, I told her about it and she suggested that I probably have costocondritis. It's were the cartladge between the ribs and breast plate become inflamed and painful. Flare ups are commonly caused by exercise and take a long time to heal. I just went with that and have learned to accept the pain I still suffer. I do not talk about it to my husband anymore because I'm sure hes tired of hearing it and he does not need the worry anyway. 

After that, I gave up on that goal.

Until the other day. My best friend from high school asked if I would like to do a 5K race with her since she knew I wanted to try one. It was close to home in the town we grew up in. “It will be fun” she said. So I thought about it and accepted the invite. I registered and paid my dues. My bib number is 832. Nick hasn’t said much to me about it, he is not on board. He worries that I can’t do it. He also refuses to do it with me even though he is an avid walker. 
It’s ok though. After 24 years of marriage, I understand his ways.

This is something I want to do for myself and nobody else. It may seem small to many, but this is a big deal for me. I’m nervous. I’m scared. So much is going trough my mind. “Can I do it? Will I come in last or in the middle? Do I wear shorts or leggings? What if I have to pee? Will I get trampled during the start? What if I get those chest pains half way through? What if I get vertigo? What if I pass out? Are my shoes good enough? Will I embarrass myself? Will I finish? Will I fall?......What if???”
Wait.....Run? I can’t even run to the end of my driveway!!

So this Saturday, rain or shine, I will get up early and head across town to start the 8:00 race I have not even prepared for. I am only used to walking about 2 miles a day. I’m afraid that since It’s so close to race day, that if I try to prepare now it will cause me to be sore. I plan to walk some and try to run as much as I can. It’s ok. I’m not in it to win it but to finish it. There will be no one there to cheer me on and no one at the finish line to celebrate my victory. The race will end and I will leave. I may not even talk about it much when I get home but inside I can be proud of what I did. Wish me Luck!

To Be Continued......





12 comments

  1. Well, please know that on Saturday I will be cheering you on from Texas! I’m already looking forward to see a blog post from you later that day......possibly titled ‘I DID it!’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg! Thats too sweet. Texas!
      I hope I do it.
      Lisa

      Delete
  2. The idea is to enjoy it. The best to you. I always like to remember most of the things I dream up that can happen, NEVER do! Yep, when its for you, it is you that enjoys it. Can't wait to hear the 'rest of the story!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack! Incase your around town, ill be in the USA ball cap probably looking like a little boy and struggling to breath! Ha!

      Delete
  3. i'll be routing for you from a distance. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I am cheering you on from Indiana, well, we will be in Chicago tomorrow, so from Chicago!! You go girl!! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!! Enjoy Chicago and have a safe trip!

      Delete