Livermush

Livermush is a Southern United States food product composed of pig liver, head parts, and cornmeal. It is commonly spiced with pepper and sage. (Source).

If your not from the south, you probably have not eaten livermush. I love it fried thin and crispy. My daughter and husband prefer it thick and a little mushy in the middle. Either way you eat it, its good on bread. It sits beside the tomato or grilled cheese sandwich on a southern home table. Its good with eggs for breakfast too.

Today we left the house and headed to Shelby North Carolina for the annual livermush festival. I was going to get a good ole liver mush sandwich for lunch.

 

Not the case. When we got there, the streets were full of vendors, crafts, beer, dog shows and of course, yes, livermush stands. 

 

However, the lines were so long it would have been time for meal three before I would have gotten one. Im one of those that will not stand in a long line for something, though a livermush sandwich seemed worth it. 

 

We walked around a little bit then headed back into town. A little disappointed that I didnt get a livermush sandwich but its ok. I know places around town that can fry one up in a jiffy. Our high school used to sell it at the ballgames and it was a big hit.

One cool thing my husband bought at the festival was this t-shirt.

 

It has actually been dyed with North Carolina Red dirt. Hmmm. I knew that stuff would be good for something. I wonder how many Moms it took to figure this fad out?
Pretty cool huh.

Haha, my husband just said "are you really blogging about the livermush sandwich we didnt get?"

20 comments

  1. I never heard of livermush and I don't think I could ever eat it. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha reading whats its made of will turn anyones head but it realy is good. Hahaha.

      Delete
  2. I am with Happyone here. We were ONCE served pigs liver as a child. When my mother discovered that my siblings and I used it as the absolute worst term of abuse it disappeared from the menu. We did get liverwurst sandwiches - and there is absolutely nothing you can swap for one.
    I am sorry you didn't get your sandwich though. And love the shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant eat any other kind of liver besides chicken livers and they too have to be fried to a crisp.

      Delete
  3. LIVERMUSH..! OMG.....it sounds horrible...and I've never heard of it....but, a lot of people hate the canned SPAM and I LUV it..thin sliced and fried crisp...great on a sandwich or with toast for breakfast...so we all have different tastes, hu....
    but LIVERMUSH...?? oK, I'll take your word for it that it's good. LOL xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does sound horrible. Haha. But its good. You would like it.
      Remember whats in bologna, hot Dogs and spam doesnt sound appealing either but good.

      Delete
  4. i heard about it for the first time ,hope it is good ,
    have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. all of my work-in-the-yard shirts look just like that NC dirt shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Livermush - that's a new word for me. At first my thought was YUK. I think it is the name. Maybe, like pork sizzle for a name. Actually, I admit to really liking liver sausage sandwiches as well as liver and onions (don't forget the fried bacon as a side) and pate'. I try to avoid these foods now that we know more about "healthy foods".

    The fact that my mother was German probably explains why I am not adverse to these foods. When eating foods as a child the flavors don't seem so strange, usually. I grew up in a family where you did not question foods. You ate what was on your plate!

    Probably, I am one person that would eat Livermush if I did not think about the ingredients. It's "the head parts" that gets to me.

    Sorry you didn't get your sandwich. Look at that crowd of people!

    Thanks for teaching me about livermush. I also googled it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didnt know about head parts until I was writing this post! I googled it myself. Haha

      Delete
  7. Sounds like great fun!
    Not a liver fan myself.
    Thanks for showing us around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. Thanks for always stopping by.

      Delete
  8. YOu will have to narrow that down to NC and upper SC. Nobody outside that area has ever heard of Livermush. Funny thing about it it doesn't actually taste much like liver. I love it right out of the package or fried. Tony's in Gastonia makes a great Livermush sandwich, I am sure you know that.

    My mama was quite the cook. When she visited us in Missouri Sherry mentioned she would sure like to have some livermush. Mama sent daddy with a list and when he returned mama make a dish pan full of livermush. It was delicious. Our neighbors tried it and loved it.

    When I mention it outside that area up there in NC I get the same feed back from your commenters here.

    Sorry you didn't get your sandwich. My favorite livermush sandwich is fried sorta hard with mustard on white bread.

    I am a livermush lover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally someone that knows what Im talking about. Hahaha. Your right, doesnt reallly have a liver taste. Never had Tonys livermush, always prefered the bologna sandwich there. CDA has a good livermush sandwich too.

      Delete
  9. Never had livermush but some of my best blogs are about things I didn't get :) I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your ever in the Carolinas, find one to try. :)

      Delete
  10. Never knew dirt can really dye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it stains, I have proof but Im still not convinced this whole shirt was dyed with just dirt. I need to investigate.

      Delete