Fish Net For A Mermaid

My daughter and her friends start thinking about what they want to dress up as for Halloween as early as March. Yea, I don’t really get it but obviously it’s a big deal. Needless to say, every year they never really come up with anything until the first of October. 

I never bought my daughter Halloween costumes when she was growing up. I always managed to create a great costume from craft or thrift store finds. She’s been everything from a bowl of spaghetti to Cat in the Hat. When she got older, she bought a couple on her own dime but that was short lived.

Shes always wanted to be a mermaid. We were just never able to create one that she thought was flattering. This year is no different. “Mom, I still want to be a mermaid”. Shes 26 by the way. 

She found some ideas online that seemed easy to accomplish (less material too). Lord help. 
Anyway, she asked if I would look for her a fishing net at the beach. She wants to use it as a wrap around her skirt. I gave it a thumbs up because more coverage, the better. 

Though I looked around the beach when I was there for a fish net, I didn't find one light enough for her to use. I told her “Ill just crochet you a net and if you dont like it, you can go to Hobby Lobby craft store and buy one”. 
She agreed to give me a chance. 



So for the past few days, little by little, I whipped up a fish net wrap. Then I had to kill the acrylic to give it more form and softness. 
(killing acrylic is simply applying a moist towel over your flattened out crochet and iron over the towel. The heat and steam kills the scratchy thick acrylic and gives the crochet a flat and silky feel and the project keeps its shape)




I like how it turned out. The best part was picking up shells from the beach last week to finish it off.



Weather she chooses to use it or not, I asked if she will give it up to me after Halloween so I can maybe use it at my beach spot. That’s if it last through the halloween parties! 

Though we never go out on Halloween, I like to dress up for the fun of it and visit neighbors. 
I did attend a halloween wedding last year and dressed like Wednesday from the Adams Family. 
You can see me as Wednesday here
This year I might be Pee Wee Herman. 
Do you dress up? If so, what do you plan to dress up like?

17 comments

  1. i like the crocheted net you made. perfect for mermaid attire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She seemed to like it so well see.

      Delete
  2. We never had homemade costumes, but my mother also had no talents. I remember in the early 90s costumes that were just a cheap plastic mask with a plastic poncho. They got lazy in the design of those things. Kids have it much nice today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 80’s even worst! Mask were just a face covering with an elastic strap around the head and the costume made of nothing more than plastic bags!

      Delete
  3. You did a great job! Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- That is fantastic, Lisa. I hope your daughter can use it as part of her costume. If not- her loss! That would be great if you could incorporate it into your beach front place somehow--indoors or out!

    Have a blessed Sunday- xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you as Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, very creative. Her costume will look great I'm sure!!
    No, I don't dress up. We don't celebrate Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We dont usually celebrate. When she was little the churches had the best parties. But now shes on her own and we keep our porch light off.

      Delete
  7. Hi Lisa, wow you did a great job crocheting the fish net. I hope your daughter likes it.
    Enjoy the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She seemed to like it pretty good.

      Delete
  8. It's been a while since we dressed up and went out on Halloween. I love your Adams Family costume.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job. It turned out wonderfully! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete