Empty Church

There sits a church on the side of the road I pass every day. On Sundays you could see children running around in the yard of this little church waiting for services to begin. I remember seeing teens sitting on the steps giggling and playing while they wait for their parents to finish saying their goodbyes as they all leave to go home to their Sunday dinners.  

Sadley Those images are mearly ghost when the doors of this church closed for the last time for these members.

I wondered, "Where did they go?"
Was it finacial reasons?
Was there a disagreement?
Did anyone even fight to keep worship going?

These days everyone is opting for the "mega churches" or the new "plant churches" set up at local facilites and schools. 

I wish eveyone would come back to the little old fashion churches. Where everyone knows everyones name. You had church on Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday evenings. Where everyone know each other and if your sick or out, they know it and will check on you. If a family needs help, everyone chips in. Everyone does things together like one big family. There are amens in the congregation, kneeling at the alters, families sitting together and covered dish dinners waiting in the fellowship hall. Haha, I had to throw that one in.



I look at this little church with a for sale sign in the yard. I don't see it as a closed church. I see it as an open invitation to another growing congregation looking for a place to worship or a new pastor looking to start his own church. 

Im happy to say, as I rode buy this little church yesterday, there was a message written in spanish on the church sign. The for sale sign was gone. There was a group of people, young and old, working alone the outside to get things ready.  

So see, this church was an answered prayer to some. 
I hope they continue to grow. 




16 comments

  1. It seems like a very nice church. I hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you I'm not even close to being a religious person, but churches could soon see a decline due to actions of their own kind influencing government. The Trump government is trying to make it where churches can legally (Without losing tax-exempt status) endorse politicians and political views.

    But if you think about it, if your pastor started endorsing the political philosophy you disagree with all the time, you'd probably feel alienated and you'd soon want to leave. Create divides in a house of cards, and it will all tumble eventually

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My church along with other churches are Bible led. Your right, your not even close.

      Delete
  3. What a pretty little church. I hope it's overflowing with worshipers soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. The mega churches are great but its sad to see the traditional churches struggling.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy to hear the little church is no longer vacant, I prefer the smaller churches like you described, this is the type of church I was raised in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it the church or your words? Enchanting; thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a sweet post. Nothing political, just a sweet post. There is a lot in many churches I do not understand, BUT I do understand they have a right to worship as they see fit in our nation.
    I am smiling noticing you said 'Spanish.' I move to Belmont because my dad was assigned as pastor of the E. Belmont Church of God. The congregation has now moved and a nice Hispanic group are now worshiping there. I have met some of the folk, I love their dedication and family values.

    Adam is right of course about a pastor who has both conservative and liberal dedicated members. One of the first things my dad would say in taking a new pastorate was, "Please do not ask me what party I am affiliated with, just assume I am what you are. Plus we are God's children. That was my dad@!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This church was actually the same kind of church. Your dads words sums it up. In my church and other churches Ive visited too, We do not see each other as left or right. We see each other as sisters and brothers.

      Delete
  7. favorite line from the old citcom...where everyone knows your name

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are still churches around as the one you describe and I am happy to say I go to one of them. : )
    What a lovely church and good to know people will be attending services once again. Like you said it is an answered prayer for some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a sweet old church still has the same message for sale or not. i'm glad this one found a new congregation.

    ReplyDelete