Stuck in the 70's

Ah the 70's. I was one year old in 1970. I'm still living in it. Yep, I live in a 70''s style ranch house. The era of tall dark cabinets and Formica counter tops. The years of the pink and yellow bathrooms with 2 inch tiles covering the walls, ceramic tubs and don't forget that paneling.

When we moved in, we installed hardwood floors throughout, took out the book selves in the den, tore out most of the paneling throughout, carpeted the bedrooms, installed new kitchen appliances, fixtures  and painted the walls. 

But its still that mid modern 70's! 
Its the kitchen!!!

We do not want to spend any money remodeling. We simply do not have it. We make do with what we have.

I plan to lighten it up soon with new curtains and brighter accent rugs. If the cabinets get a face lift, that will be up to the husband. I cant do it myself and will not even attempt it without his support. We never do large purchases or changes without the others approval. We stay in the same boat.

Then I sit back and look around. I begin to think. This was at one time, some woman's dream kitchen.


It was the "better homes" style at the time. 
I picture a mother with bouffant hair in an apron hosting a kids birthday party. 
I picture a dad with sideburns coming in from work while a roast is waiting in the oven. 
I picture Tupperware parties 
and macrame plant hangers.

I sometimes think I'd like to keep hold of the 70's style, I mean since I can't have the french country look I adore, I'll just revamp the 70's style! Brighten it up but keep the look. Maybe add some retro fixtures and decor, and just go with it. Let it be the look I'm going for in case anyone ask......
Wait, husband just shook his head "no". 
[sigh]
Ok I do have a plan B. 

For the record: No my bathroom is not pink. But we do have a yellow one with a golden throne! 


12 comments

  1. Someone turned their toilet into the Iron Throne from Game of Thrones.

    Not me, but I wish it was mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can visualize the scene well. Especially those macrame plant holders. it has charm and character as is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eesh! I remember granmaw doing lots of macrame. It was cool at the time.

      Delete
  3. LOL- Oh- yep---I remember those days. Sometimes just painting cabinets does wonders. It is labor intensive but not too daunting. I have done that a few times over the years. If you enjoy what you have - what else matters? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a big business now in replacing cabinet doors & counter tops. Probably makes more sense to replace the cabinets. However it is probably more fun to dream!
    I had the distinct pleasure to buy and remodel 'Fat' Myers home on Church St. in Belmont. Fat was a good friend of dads and ran the Carother's Funeral home on church st. I never will forget the Blue over sized cast iron tub, musta weighed 500 pounds. His wife was my ins agent for years. The built the ranch brick late 50's it was the 70's designs way ahead of it's time. One house I had always wanted to restore, and finally got the chance. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a pink & black tiled bathroom when we moved into our house--no more!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I love the new header, that's so YOU!! You and I are a year apart - I was 2 in 1970! My house was built in 1979 but thankfully the previous owners had updated the kitchen in the 90's, which I can deal with. It's not my dream kitchen but it's certainly fine until I hit Lotto ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was too much, but a good read. In the 70's Arlene and I lived in our Palace in the Sky.

    ReplyDelete