Happy Doughnut Day!
Doughnuts are my favorite sweet! I love Krispy Kreme Doughnuts . I love digging into a box of fresh, hot doughnuts right after they glide through the sugar glaze of goodness. Still so hot, they will burn your fingers. They just melt in your mouth and before you know it, a dozen is gone! OK, I need to snap out of it [snap!]
Do you know where National Donut Day comes from? Well here are a few interesting facts about this special day.
- The Salvation Army established National Doughnut Day in 1938.
- to raise money for people in need during the Depression.
- It always falls on the first Friday in June.
- The first National Donut Day was in Chicago in 1938.
- Doughnut Day was also to honor the women who served donuts to soldiers during World War I.
- These women were called "donut lassies"
- American soldiers returned home with the nickname "doughboys"
- Journalist are guided to spell it "Doughnuts" not "Donuts"
- The original doughnut did not have a hole in the middle. They just used a nut shape of dough
- that's where the word "nut" comes from. The dough resembled a walnut.
- Doughnut holes are actually a reverse back to what a doughnut started out as.
- They started putting a hole in doughnuts because the middles stayed soggy.
If you want to make your own doughnuts, I have an easy, simple solution for you HERE .
Now go out and get your fried dough fix for most doughnut shops are giving away freebies today!